Monday, May 11, 2009

Random Encounters

Most people you meet in your life will be introduced to you through someone or something. That is to say that very rarely do you interact with someone that you have no pre-existing connection. Most of the time the new people you encounter are found when you try a new activity, begin a new job, or you are introduced by a friend who already knows that person. Sometimes it is nice to meet someone just because you happened to.

Here in Kathmandu, I have had alot of opportunities to to just meet someone. Sitting in a cafe by myself, sitting at a bar, or just walking down the street every day I have the opportunity to be met. It is something I don't do in the US. Walking down the street I am in my own world experiencing my own reality. I don't stop and say, "Hi!" to someone just because they look interesting or lost. But here, I do.

These random encounters have led me to many strange and interesting places, and forced me to talk with people I never thought I would.

These people I have met have no notion of who I am. They do not know where I am coming from. The ONLY thing they know about me is that I am in Kathmandu and so are they, and that is enough for a connection. I chat with people, and move on. Meet someone, make a connection, and leave.

No comments: