Sunday, May 3, 2009

Last Dance

This is my final day here in Juanga. I have been here for over 50 days now. I have mixed emotions. I am happy to be leaving, because I have work to do up in Kathmandu, but sad because I didn’t get to finish everything I had to do here in Juanga.

Juanga has become… a home. It has a charm that I have difficulty expressing. When I leave this place I am going to be leaving a part of myself here. Hopefully it will be the part that talks to ceiling fans and stares at cows. But I know that Juanga has been good to me. It has been a wonderful place to think and reflect. It has sheltered me from the world, and given me the space I needed to work on myself as a person.

It has also taken a lot from me. Physically it has taken about 30 pounds of flesh, which I am happy to be rid of. It has taken a little bit of my sanity, but it was the kind of sanity that I can do without. It has taken my blood and sweat (lots more sweat than blood).

Juanga taught me how to think outside a box. Even though in Juanga, you can’t see the box, and there is a good chance the box does not exist. People here have a different approach to their problems, one that has helped me to realize a few things about my own approach. Here sometimes confronting things head on will only lead to your head being broken. I have learned to back into, change my angle, work around, get to the bottom of, and sometimes just plain ignore the difficulties that I face here. It has been a learning experience every moment of every day.

No comments: