Tuesday, May 12, 2009

100 Posts!

Today I celebrate an arbitrary milestone in my blogging. Because of humanities obsession with 10 today I celebrate the 100th post of this blog!

Kathmandu does not lend itself to the same solitude that I experienced in Orissa. For example right now I am sitting in Java, a cafe in Thamel. There is a murmur of different languages and different types of conversations. There is the awkward "first date" discussion by some local Nepalis. I don't even need to speak their language to realize that they are definitely on a first date. In the corner there are 4 men with ties on. They are showing each other papers and different charts. It's business if I have ever seen it. There are a few of "us" NGO workers sitting by ourselves typing away on our laptops. Our addition to the noise is simply click-click.

The lights are low due to power shortages. Instead of ruining the atmosphere with florescent light, the staff have lit candles where everyone is sitting. I am hunkered down in a large leather chair with a thick, solid arm rest. My computer is to my right, and I have an iced blended coffee (no sugar) in front of me.

This environment is very starbucksian. However it is the perfect place to write my 100th post to this blog. I have successfully written a blog entry every day on my trip so far. Sometimes I post them late, but I have written every single day. I didn't think I could do it when I left the US. I thought I would do it for one week, and then forget about it. Well looks like I stuck it out.

Thanks everyone for reading and commenting. This blog has been, and will continue to be, a joy for me to write, even after I come home.

1 comment:

Claire Christina said...

You said that last time before you came home, that you'd continue writing. I challenge you to make good on it this time.

Also: You beat me to 100! No fair! Congrats. I feel like someone should buy you a drink in honor of the occasion. Tell you what - I'll buy you a drink for your 100th post if you do the same for my 100th post! (That'll give me incentive to get there before I leave for school!)