Saturday, April 11, 2009

Puri Driving

Today was a slow day for me. I spent most of the day in my room at the hotel, or just wandering around Puri without any aim or goal.

Puri is a city on the verge of becoming too... touristy. Right now the Rickshaw drivers only pester you once or twice, and every shopkeeper only tells you to enter his shop once. It is, dare I say it, a friendly place. The people here are all very used to foreigners, and do not really look at you oddly. (like they do in the villages)

It is also a very noisy city for its size. Hoboken has a much higher population than Puri, and the population density is also much higher there, but the noise from cars and horns here is almost a constant from sunrise till about midnight. It is just a different culture. Everyone here just blows their horns while they drive. I suppose it is necessary because EVERYONE WEAVES IN AND OUT OF TRAFFIC LIKE A MADMAN.

Sorry. Indian driving styles are finally getting to me. Everyone's mentality is ME FIRST! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME. Sorry... I will try to get a hold of myself.

I have seen traffic jams start just because one car was trying to make a left turn, blocked 2 lanes of traffic, and then was unable to complete the turn because people on motorcycles decided they had to weave around in front of him. Entire roadways are jammed because is there is one slow driver, people will pass him INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC.

Sorry again. It just... shocks me. We have this behavior in America. We call it bad driving. Here they simply call it driving.

No comments: