Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!

To everyone who has been asking if they celebrate Easter over here the answer is complicated. The vast majority of the population does not celebrate Easter. However the people who are Christians do.

There are no egg hunts, no Easter Baskets, no chocolate bunnies, and no peeps to be sacrificed so that the upcoming year will have a bountiful harvest. I am going to try to change some of that. Today I bought a basket that I intend to fill with large amounts of chocolate and candy to bring back to the Hospital for Biku, Rinku, Chinku, and Babu. I couldn't find any of that silly plastic green straw stuff, so I am just going to use an acceptable alternative... straw.

I am also going to see about an Easter Egg hunt when I get back. The problem is it is going to be late in the day, and I think I might need to put the egg hunt off till tomorrow.

I went to Easter Service at 7:00 AM this morning. It was pleasant, not crowded, and short. The Priest looked tired (probably still recovering from the Easter Vigil the night before) and only half the Church was filled.

I really love Easter. I think it is one of my favorite holidays. It's a celebration of new life, redemption, and sacrifice. And it reminds us that everything is going to turn out alright. The winter (death) has been defeated by spring (life) and Jesus (life) has defeated death (death).

although I have already passed through spring right into summer. It feels odd to be celebrating Easter with the temp outside being 99 degrees. Stupid climate bias I have I suppose.

I actually had an opportunity to upload some pics from my trip. You can find them at:

My Trip In India (so far)

I really can't wait to get home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

did you see this news?
By Harmeet Shah Singh
CNN

NEW DELHI, India (CNN) -- Four suspected Maoists and 10 federal security officers died in an hours-long shootout Monday in eastern India.

The siege ended early Monday after about 100 suspected Maoists had attacked a bauxite mine in the state of Orissa, in what police said was an aborted bid to steal explosives stocked in the pit.

At least 70 workers were in the pit when it was stormed, but none of them was hurt, said Deepak Kumar Chauhan, district police chief of Koraput in the state.

"The armory is safe. Maoists have retreated. And all the workers are also safe," Chauhan added.

The Maoists rebels, known as the Naxalites, have been battling the government in several states in an insurgency that has resulted in thousands of casualties since the late 1960s. They claim to be fighting for the poor and the dispossessed