Thursday, March 26, 2009

One Night in Puri and the World's Your Turtle

Today I finally made it to Puri to get some time with the internet. What I have been doing is writing my posts every day, and now I am posting them! I find that I enjoy writing more and more every day. I only wish I had something interesting to say.

Puri is a small city on the Bay of Bengal. It is filled with Hari Krishnas. This is one of their high holy cities because of the Jagganath Temple. This is a temple dedicated to a facet of Lord Krishna. So everywhere you look there is some weird white dude with his head shaved except a little pony tail singing Hari Krishna.

I am staying in a hotel called the Pink House, and no it is not called that because it is a place of debauchery and sin. It is called that because it is pink. It is right on the beach, and my room opens to sand and waves. It is really nice... especially for $4 a night.

I defeated the pigeons in my little war. I cleaned out their nest before they decided to start a family, and bricked up the air vent so they could not build another one. It was my nuke option, because it means that the air flowing through that vent is now decreased. In war, sacrifices must be made.

I think that writing this is helping me keep up the practice of using proper english. Most of the time over here I must speak in deliberate and short sentences. Saying words slowly so that people who do speak english understand me. For instance instead of saying:

"Hey! How about you and I go for a walk around the fields?"

I need to say:

"Want to walk?"

After a while, the way I tailor my speech becomes habit, one that I must break before returning to the western world, where people would think I was just plain slow.

No comments: