Saturday, March 21, 2009

Learn Your Own Language First, Then Try Something Different

My lessons with Biku are going well. I have learned more Oriya in the last week than I did the entire time I was here the last two trips. He has a solid understanding of English grammar, which makes it easy for him to describe Oriya grammar in a way I can understand.

I have always held the belief that the stronger you are in your native language, the easier it is to learn another. My knowledge of the parts of speech in english has made the transition to Oriya much easier than I could have hoped for If I had to learn the essentials of grammar AND another language.

I am still upset at Oriya for not having a form of "to be." I think it not having "to be" just means the language was too lazy to develop it. One of the other difficult parts of Oriya is conjugating the verbs. I suppose that is difficult in any language, but I am slowly learning the rhyme and reason to this language's particular ways. If only humans only existed in the here and now, without a concept of past and future, language would be alot easier.

No comments: