Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I am HUGE in Asia.

Tonight is my last night in Kathmandu. It is starting to get chilly over here. Temps in the low 50's during the day and low 30's in the night. And in one day time I am going to be going back to it being high 70's-80's. Yup! Finally heading down to Orissa. I am looking forward to seeing all my old friends down at the school and hospital.

Kathmandu has been great! There have been parts that weren't perfect, but everything was a little adventure. Meeting lots of new and (sometimes) interesting people is great, and it also teaches you something about people in general. People are People. I hate saying it like that, but I have found that no matter where in the world you are, and no matter how vast your cultural differences are, people really behave the same way the world around. I say this without ever having gone to Africa or China, but I feel confident in my assessment.

The views in this country are amazing. Simply wonderful. Lush valleys and snow topped peaks as far as the eye can see. This country is truly a trekkers dream come true.

Everything in Asia is designed for Asians. This proves to make MY life difficult. I am too big for some cars. Newari stores have a door that is 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide. Even Michael has difficulty getting into them. Crowds press in on all sides in the markets, most of the people barely coming up to my shoulder. That being said. I am HUGE in Asia. Like David Hasselhoff in Germany.