Monday, December 8, 2008

Indian Moment


Today I had what Michael described as an "Indian Moment." I had a long day of Elephant riding and sight seeing at Amber Fort here is Jaipur. I had an overly spicy meal at a very good restaurant. I ate an extremely spicy chili pepper and burned my mouth. And after a few hours of walking through the markets, I kinda flipped out.

It was all internal. I maintained a huge grin on my face, but inside my mind I was screaming to myself to just get away from all these shopkeepers, rickshaws, tour guides, food vendors, and professional beggars. I just needed to get away from the markets, the noise, and the people. In case you are wondering I am better now. I got to my hotel room and recharged my emotional batteries. I am ready for round 2 out there in this strange and beautiful country.

One thing that really gets to me is what I call the white tax. Here in India there are many beautiful tourist attractions. If you are an Indian you can get into these attractions for 10-40 rupees. If you are from anywhere else in the world, you pay anywhere from 10-40 dollars. For those of you who are not up on current exchange rates that is 500-2000 rupees. If the price was low because they wanted to allow impoverished Indians access to historical or cultural works I would understand it. However even the Indian prices are prohibitive to the poor here. These prices are paid by middle and upper class Indians who make very good money. It is solely a price increase because of my status as a foreigner.

That is enough griping about India for today. The Pink City of Jaipur is beautiful. Many people here are very nice. I can't wait to come home and see snow.

That is all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

no snow yet in Windsor but its cold and we get frost. i hope that will surfice until you get back to NJ!